There are two medical faculties available for incoming exchange:

1) The University of Hong Kong (HKU)

2) The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK).



1. What is the likeliness of being accepted for a clinical attachment in Hong Kong?


From our previous experience, about 1 out of 5 applications is unsuccessful, mostly due to delayed submission of the necessary documents. Please read our full exchange conditions for all details on the specific application procedure for each LC, and send in your application package as early as possible!


If you have any queries regarding our requirements, please feel free to email so we can advise you on all the required documents.


Applicants for either university are considered in the light of the individual applicant's previous training and experience and the capacity of the department or unit concerned to accept the applicant for the chosen period. For the Chinese University of Hong Kong, placement availability varies among different departments. For The University of Hong Kong, recommended placements include: Obstetrics & Gynecology, Medicine, Surgery and Paediatrics from early July till mid-August. The final decision of whether an applicant is accepted is made by the university faculties and ultimately, AMSAHK cannot guarantee a place for you.


2.  Do I have to know Chinese to come to Hong Kong for a clinical attachment?


Cantonese is used for communication with patients, but is not a requirement for the exchange unless it is a specified department. It is important to note that a high proficiency in English is required.


3. Do I have to pay for tuition? Will I receive salary?


Participating in the SCOPE program is a chance for medical students to experience being a clinical student in a foreign country. Beyond the initial exchange fee of HKD$4500, no tuition is charged for elective attachments, nor is stipend paid to students.


4. Where will I live?


AMSAHK will be responsible for finding and covering the costs of a student’s accommodation during their attachment in Hong Kong. Often this is a University residence as they are cost-efficient and geographically convenient for exchange students. Furthermore, being in close vicinity with the local students will facilitate cultural exchange. Students are very welcomed to make arrangements with their friends/ families should they want to.


5. Are there any funding assistance?


Applicants should have available sufficient fund to cover expenses during their stay. No funds are available to assist overseas students.


6. Do I have to buy insurance?


Students are expected to be responsible for their insurance coverage in Hong Kong, e.g. medical malpractice insurance, personal life insurance, travel insurance, etc. Please note that medical malpractice insurance is mandatory.


7. What do I need to wear at the wards?


Formal clothing must be worn (Male: shirt, tie, dark trousers, and dresser shoes; Female: formal skirt or dark trousers, and dresser shoes; no jeans) during clerkship in the hospital. Students should bring their own stethoscope and two white coats. Casual wear and footwear such as jeans, T-shirts, sports shoes, sandals and so forth are prohibited.